#616 City of Opportunity
Our City of Opportunity opens up new ways of thinking and capability to solve the City’s challenges now and well into the future.
The Newcastle Smart City Strategy 2017-2021 is a plan outlining the measures City of Newcastle is driving to spearhead Newcastle’s transition to a smart and innovative City. It is one of a suite of City strategies delivering on the seven strategic directions requested by our community, and outlined in the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan.
The strategy represents a comprehensive and considered approach to transforming Newcastle as a smart city, with six program pillars detailing 22 strategic initiatives, which are further broken down into 108 individual actions.
- Smart Cities Awards 2019 – Newcastle wins Smart City of the Year (metropolitan).
- Newcastle Smart City Strategy awarded strategy of the year by Smart Cities Council Australia New Zealand.
- Smart Cities Council 2019 – Research and Innovation.
- Smart Cities Council 2019 (highly commended) – Partnerships.
- IDC Smart Cities Asia-Pacific Awards / Urban Planning and Land Use – Hunter Innovation Project Smart City Infrastructure.
- IDC Smart Cities Asia-Pacific Awards / Connected Vehicles – Smart Moves Newcastle Mobility Projects.
- Sustainability prize at the NSW Local Government Excellence in the Environment Awards.
- Sustainable Transport Award at the national Cities Power Partnership Awards.
- Energy Efficiency Award at the Inaugural Cities Power Partnership national awards.
- NSW Green Globe for Climate Change Leadership for their Energy Hunter program with Hunter Business Chamber. Over 350 participating businesses saved $1.1m in electricity costs and reduced annual electricity consumption by 5,600,000 kWh.
- Newcastle City App wins GOLD at the Gov Design Awards 2019 for Mobile Digital Experience.
- The IoT Sensor Lab wins GOLD award at Australia Good Design Awards in 2020.